Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Time change went through, elections are done, school, work and home are still the order of the day. Yet I am still surprised by things on a daily basis. Bear came home in tears because he felt "forced" into voting for a candidate because someone told him the other one would steal our money. Buzz is upset because he stands alone politically among his friends. Beaver voted for Bert in the "Ernie vs. Bert" elections at preschool. I told him, really, Bert is the more responsible of the two, and he made a good choice. He says he's changing his mind.
Here's another thing: I am frequently surprised that friends, good friends, respected professionals, do not share my political/social views. I almost feel deserted--which is dumb, because it's their opinion, not mine. But I still have enough type A in me to want to take them aside and say "Do you really know what you're doing? This is what you're saying, and it's wrong." We all get so emotionally attached to elections. Yes, taxes could change, laws could change, constitutions rewritten, but it's nice to know that in my house, it's still roughly about the business of work, home, school, church for my 3 little guys. Some things are constant and therefore comforting to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of my family voted for the "other guy" and I feel the same as you. I just wanted to take them aside and go through the issues point by point, saying this is why he is a bad choice. This is why as a Christian I can't vote for him and you shouldn't either. I just don't get why/how some really smart and educated, Christian people voted the way they did. Tim says some poeple are smart and others are wise.
My sister told my parents to vote "wisely." I guess everyone has a different definition of wise now.
God is still in charge and He is the winner in the end, right?! I just hate to see what happens before the end.
And just because a president may be able to tell us and change laws to make what is wrong now right tomorrow, God's right and wrong will always be my standard and His rules never change!

Jenny said...

Good point!