Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Questioning the logic and safety of this one

We have long had the "widow maker" branch hanging over the front yard, held in place by what appeared to be two small twigs. Every storm, windy day, whatever, I thought, "this'll be the day. It's coming down." It never does. Today I had had enough of watching sway slightly in the breeze, mocking me, and I thought I would just take the thing out with a few good tosses of the football. My accomplices, never to let something this exciting to pass by, say nearby in the previously mentioned "war wagon." I tossed the ball a few times, and the branch, still dangling, would rock and sway, and the soldiers in the wagon shagged the ball for me. Then, while I was retrieving the ball that rolled into the street, the oldest thought he should try, by throwing a bat into the tree. Then another thought he would throw a badminton racket. So now we've got balls, bats, rackets flying. I'm not that careless--they all had helmets on, which was good when the wiffle ball bat came down on Buzz's head with a pop! I then said, "guys, better let me do this." One last toss and down the branch came. The war wagon veterans came to my aid, stomping and breaking the dead limb into pieces. My heroes! And, at the least, the scary limb is gone.

No comments: