Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pax vobiscum

Well, you learn something new everyday. Today at church I learned about the "pax vobiscum," or "peace be with you." When Jesus appears to the disciples after Easter, he meets them in the locked room. He passes through the wall, according to the Word, and the first thing he says is "Peace be with you."
The liturgy has this, too. Our pastor posed the question about where this should be in the liturgy and why. Some said it should be at the beginning of the service, some said at the end, and mostly everyone agreed that having in its current place, in the middle of the service was a strange place for it. It's almost like a commercial break--a social time for people to get up, wander about, stretch and offer hands and hugs. I have to admit, it does seem like a strange place for exchanging greetings of peace.
Then pastor illuminated me. He pointed out that the moment we offer greetings is the moment after the eucharistic prayer in which Jesus joins us bodily in the service. How appropriate, then. The words of institution are spoken, Jesus is present in the sacrament, and we greet each other "Peace be with you," just like he did. I had never thought of it like that, but I understand, now. It gives the communion feast all the more importance and meaning to me.
I enjoy learning the "whys" about the liturgy--there are times when I don't know why we do what we do, but once I learn, it makes more sense. I think I get more out of it, too. Rather than just going through the motions, I get more presence of mind about being at church and with God.

No comments: