Monday, March 16, 2009

Calgon, take me away--again.

Ever have those 5-15 minutes where all hell breaks loose? Like when you head to bathroom for some "time alone," only to hear that 3-letter word 20 seconds later?
"MOM!" comes the shout from outside the door.
"What." I try to say calmly, not wanting to answer, but knowing if I don't, he'll only say it again.
"Come quick!"
"Why."
"I've spilled the juice!"
Oh, bother--well, not being able to exactly leave my post, I must give instructions on how to deal with this. Thankfully, by the way, the dog was cheerfully outside, eating her weight in sticks.
"Get the towel from the kitchen and throw it on the spill. I'll be out in a minute."
Then here it comes.
"But I want more juice!"
Did he just say what I thought he said? "Oh you don't even want to ask that right now. I'll be out soon."

Now, this was just part of the plan for the day. You see yesterday, Dad thought it would be a good idea to give the boys White Castle for lunch yesterday while I was at work. I told him later, "Now we're having black bean soup for dinner. Do you want this to happen?" because he knows full well what I'm talking about. "Oh sure, " he says, "after all they'll be on spring break." Little did he know we'd be at Target 18 hours later. And while I made sure everyone hit the bathroom before we left, we still had to make not 1, not 2, but 3 trips to the bathroom. 1 for one child, 2 for another. The 3rd remains strangely untouched by yesterday's menu.

Why is the bathroom such an interesting topic? I never was too obsessed with bathrooming until I had children, and now my life seems to revolve around who has peed, who has pooped, or who needs to, who wants to and when will I have time to go? Even now that we have a dog, it is moreso, because now I get to think about when the dog needs to go, where the dog has gone, and when the dog will need to go again.
How strange my life has become. But it sure is entertaining when I step back to look at it.