Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Fine Art of Procrastination

There are various methods by which one can avoid a task. One can take up another task; start a fun project; play with the kids; sleep; simply ignore the work that needs to be done. Another great method is verbalizing how awful the task is going to be--that is, loudly complaining and whining about it--like, for hours. Now while I am a procrastinator, my method is pretty low-key: the children. They constantly will interrupt a task, so sometimes if I'm dreading it, I joyfully abandon the task in favor of a game of CandyLand or a great knock-knock joke. However, when it comes right down to it, if it needs to be done, I get it done without much complaining (save the juice-spilled floor--that one I do complain about. I mean, could it really be spilled twice each day? Really?). By the way, there are sub-procrastinating ways, too. One might do a more tolerable task, or one that is likely to be completed quickly when there is a big task waiting to be finished. In fact, the sub-task is usually done in the middle of the big task. The sub-task is also quite unnecessary. Like when putting away dishes (which I don't like doing), fix a little snack. Or instead of cleaning the garage-the front step gets hosed off. So, my dear, when you had two and a half-hours to get a 20-minute task done, there is no room for complaint. Just get up and get it done.

1 comment:

budmom said...

Oh yeah, I like the snack one, and a lot of times it's chocolate. I tell myself I deserve it for doing this awful task!