Saturday, November 28, 2009

Words to live by

I'm exploring the use of different words. Sounds pretty dull, I suppose, but these are the things I think about while in the shower, or laying in bed awake, or while reading other people's random postings on Facebook, or whenever else I have free brain time.
This week's word is appropriate: Thankful.
I started by looking up the definition of thankful, and found out a few things. Thankful generally means an appreciation for something, or an acknowledgement of a benefit. I found out that grateful cannot be separated from thankful. In fact, gratitude is an expression of thankfulness. A lot of people are saying things like "I'm thankful for..." at this time of the year, but I'm not sure everyone realizes there must be a recipient of the thanks. This "direct object," (for all you english majors), receives the thanks. "Thank you for the gift you sent." You, in the last sentence, receives the thanks. In a sentence like "I am thankful for...." who is the recipient of thanks? Who has delivered a kindness to you?
In other examples, such as appreciation, an object may not need to be implied. One person can appreciate, or enjoy, or be grateful for something in one's life. Appreciation means you enjoy it and find it enjoyable or useful. Thankful is another thing entirely.
To me, there can only be one recipient in that sentence: God. I'm thankful for the house over my head. Who am I thanking? Who bestowed this benefit to me? God did. I suppose one might argue that it was his or her own sweat and tears involved, but for even the opportunity to get that house over one's head, or the benefits of good marriage, good health, plenty of food, lots of friends and good laughs, we have only one Being to thank, and that would be God.

1 comment:

budmom said...

I agree, God is the first to thank for all the blessings in our life. Sometimes, it's the individuals we love to thank but ultimately it's God too. Those that don't quite have Christ in their heart, well, at least having a thankful heart is a first step and hopefully others love will teach them to learn to thank God specifically.