Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tidings of comfort and joy....

When I was little we went to midnight mass at our church--and I mean midnight. It was exhausting as a little kid, but I grew to love it year after year. The church was dark, except for the Christmas trees all around the perimeter, the lights around the altar and choir areas, and some low lights here and there in the corners. The music, okay, so it was sometimes good and sometimes not-so-good (listening to the all caucasian group singing Harry Belefonte "Long time ago in Bethlehem, so thee holee Bible say..."), yea that wasn't a highlight. But, the church singing "O Come All Ye Faithful" at top volume, all verses, including Latin--that would stir up the heathen.
But let me back up, because all during Advent, the nativity set was up at the altar, with a singular character missing: the Holy Child. So, throughout Advent, my dad would let me go up there after church and point out, "see, he's not there yet." Then, finally, at midnight mass, the priest would bring the statue in, completing the picture of the Holy Family. After mass was over, and people are leaving, my dad would make a point of taking me up to the altar again, to see the baby Jesus in his manger. It was wonderful.
Still today, as I'm driving about town I see other manger scenes, and during Advent, I always point out to my kids, "see he's not there yet," so that after Christmas, they, too are elated to see baby Jesus resting in the manger, too.
Yes, I know it's a statue, and I know he's here, but not here. He does dwell in us, but I love the feeling Advent gives--one of waiting, wanting him to come and stay. And when the little statue is in place, the picture is complete, and the joy is complete. It does make me feel so much better to know he's here and to see the little statues in their places affirms that feeling.
So he's not here yet. He does promise us he's with us always, but he won't completely be back until the time is right. When that does happen, there won't be the waiting, just the elation.

No comments: