Wednesday, April 15, 2009

No baby bikes here!

Beav is officially on two wheels! What a big day! I was shooting baskets in the cul-de-sac when I see Bear and Beav conspiring near the gate. Bear says "I'll teach you," in a gentle manner. "Teach him what?" I yell. He explains that he's about to teach his little brother how to ride a two-wheeler. "Oh no, you're not!" I toss the ball and go running up the driveway. I get up there and talk to him about going slow, using the brakes and keeping his balance while keeping his eyes on the road. "I can do it, Mom," he says to me, almost in a flustered voice. He takes off down the driveway, with me running along side, hand on his neck. "Let go Mom!" he yells. I let go--and off he goes, as if he always knew how to do it. He made about 10 laps altogether, before I made him get off for awhile so "Mom's blood pressure can go back down."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother taught me, but it wasn't near as gentle. He took the training wheels off and pushed my down a hill. But...I have known how to ride ever since! I knew that if I didn't learn fast I'd end up in the neighbor's front yard again.

Jenny said...

Yours was certainly a "trial by fire!" This son was the first to not need me balancing him at all--he just took off, so that was plenty scary.