Friday, April 17, 2009

An Important Message

I need to share this story, because it is a scary story. Buzz has recently been allowed to explore the neighborhood on his bike a little more--just a few streets where we knew people as "safe houses" in case of an emergency. We also set a time limit that he must be back at the house by, so that if he misses that curfew, I come looking for him. On the ride home from the park yesterday, Buzz relates to me a story that scared me. A few days before on one of his bike rides, a van pulled along side Buzz, and he reported that an older man asked him if he knew "Ben" and that he (Buzz) looked like "Ben." He also told him where this person lived. Buzz then said he drove away. We went ballistic--asking him questions about the person and the car, and told him under no circumstances should he speak to anyone he doesn't know on his bike rides. Of course we have pulled back his bike riding territory again, but we are trying to play it safe. We've also gone in depth with action plans and emergency plans with all the kids, explaining what to do. Now this person may have been the nicest, safest person in town, but nonetheless we had to take serious precautions. It makes me mad and sad that this has to be the case--I was allowed to bike all over the place, but never feared for my safety. This is not the case today. Keep your kids safe!

No comments: