Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Is this what Peter Pan meant?

When Peter Pan says he never wants to grow up, was it because he knew there were going to be difficult times, or was it that he never wanted to physically mature?

I don't mind my birthday. I know I may be in the minority here, but generally speaking, I look forward to yet another new year. I like thinking there's more to do and more to learn out there. Yes, I have my down days where I think dermabrasion is the only answer to my poor skin, or days when I think "now that didn't hurt yesterday," so yes, there are some things about growing up that aren't the best.

However, I guess I wasn't prepared for the utter heartbreak and sadness that happens around me. It seems each day there is something horrible happening. A job lost, a death in the family, a terrible illness, a marriage ending, not to mention bad economy, bad legistation, bad people out there hurting children or others. It seems we are doomed. My husband, the pesimist, I call him (he would probably say he's a realist) has known about these things all along. "Don't let yourself be duped into feeling everything is perfect." That kind of thing.

When it seems like all is doom and gloom it is easy to fall in line with that thinking. I let myself agree with the world--it's all horrible. But then I have to force myself to turn the table around and find something to be happy about. I don't think of it as the "ostrich effect" that some would call it, because I acknowledge these awful things are happening. But it doesn't mean I have to let it rule my life.

I'm sure I'll have more to discuss on this issue. I just want to say that in an Eeyore kind of world, it's okay to be Pollyanna.

No comments: