Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dateline: Gravois Creek Chronicles

This past week brought the culmination of some month's preparation. On one side, I finished the very long "work blitz" that I had been preparing for since the beginning of the summer. It was hard, but I did like seeing the paycheck last week. That was nice. Another was the 25-year reunion of my classmates from grade school. This would ordinarily sound strange to the general public school person, but this grade school went from K-8, and though I went only for 5-8, it was those formative middle school years, which are generally quite memorable as the beginning of coming of age. (Read: developing friendships, personalities, and of course, bodies.) More on the reunion later--but suffice to say that it was fun and memorable as well. Following the reunion, was the school fair, which I had been planning for for about the last month. My personal role was small, but it was another "thing on the list." The final thing was my 40th birthday, which I hadn't been preparing for, but knew it was coming, nonetheless.
Turning 40, I've decided, is a lot like vanilla: You realize that after all this time, you kind of like it. And now that I'm here, it's kind of a big sigh of relief--I don't have to look at that as a milestone to dread, I've crossed it, and it's all good.
The best part of my 40th was the gifts: books and a bottle of wine from my sweetie, a book and card from the kids, and David, who brought tears to my eyes with this one:
David: I have a gift for you mom, it's here (pointing to his chest)
Me: Oh yea? What is that?
David: It's my heart.
Oh! How sweet--he really is a sweetheart, and I love him, and all my good boys a lot.

Now with the bad news: The day after my birthday, I read about another friend who may not see her birthday. But for her, it's simply the next step she must take. I wish I could be fearless like her, and I'm praying for her and her family.

No comments: